When you have to choose between staying at home to use your Xbox and heading out for a gym workout, we know how hard it is for gadget heads like you to unplug. Let us read full story
This steamed mussels recipe is perfect for busy folks on the paleo diet. Easy to prepare and appealing to even non-paleo diners, steamed mussels are high in protein, iron, zinc, selenium, and vitamin b12. Want to learn more about the paleo diet? Join the DailyBurn May Paleo Challenge here!
Time to prepare: 5 min
Time to cook: 15 min
Difficulty level: 2 out of 10 (anyone who can turn on a stovetop can make this)
- 2 lbs mussels
- 7 fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Basil, oregano, and pepper to taste
Dice the tomatoes and the onion. Rinse mussels under cold water and discard any that do not close tightly.
In a large saucepan on medium heat, pour half the olive oil portion into pan and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and spices, and cover for 8 – 10 minutes. When the tomatoes are soft, add the mussels and cover. Turn up the heat until the liquid starts to boil. Mussels should start to open as they steam, and all of them should be open in about 3 minutes. Uncover and discard any that remain closed.
Serve in a large bowl and ladle the tomato broth over the mussels.
Subscribe to the DailyBurn Life newsletter for exclusive healthy tips, articles, recipes and more.
What we talk about
- The Real Reasons You Shouldn't Eat After 7PM If You Want to Lose Weight 9528 view(s)
- Top 10 Best Health and Fitness Blogs You Don't Know About (Until Now) 5752 view(s)
- How to Prep Healthy Meals for the Week Ahead 4286 view(s)
- 5 Ways To Use Protein Powder When Shakes Get Boring 3457 view(s)
- Spring Clean Your Liver To Rev Up Your Metabolism 3202 view(s)