When you have to choose between staying at home to use your Xbox and heading out for a gym workout, we know how hard it is for gadget heads like you to unplug. Let us read full story
The obesity epidemic in America is not hidden. Yet most of us are in complete denial about the serious health crisis that is killing us slowly. Here are some disturbing facts:
- Over one-third of U.S. adults (~36%) are obese.
- 12.5 million children and adolescents aged 2-19 (17%) are obese
- Obesity increases the incidents of chronic lifestyle diseases including Type II diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, strok, coronary heart disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, sleep apnea, and more.
- This is the first generation of children that may not outlive their parents.
HBO, in partnership with The Center for Disease Control, Kaiser Permanente, the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health, is forcing Americas to open their eyes by exposing the realities of the obesity epidemic in our country.
The Weight of the Nation series is a four part documentary that focuses on different issues within the obesity epidemic discussion:
Part 1: Consequences
Part 2: Choices
Part 3: Children in Crisis
Part 4: Challenges
HBO has consulted with 48 of the top researchers, doctors, and experts working to find the cure to obesity. Some of the experts in the film include:
Kelly Brownell, PhD – Director, Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, Yale University
Margo Wootan, DSc – Director, Nutrition Policy, Center for Science in the Public Interest
Elsie Taveras, MD, MPH – Pediatrician; Co-Director, Obesity Prevention Program Harvard Medical School
Robert Lustig, MD – Pediatric Endocrinologist, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, San Francisco
Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH – Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Watch the trailer here:
You can watch each of the four videos in their entirety here.
Along with the video content, HBO has developed a web portal that includes information and a call to action.
Obesity in America has reached a catastrophic level. Almost every aspect of our lives is threatened. The first step toward ending the damage is learning how to fight back.
Kudos to HBO for the impressive undertaking. The films are poignant, especially the emotional interviews with obese Americas discussing their personal struggles. You can’t watch these films and not take action afterwards. If you do nothing else, please spread the word on social media about this series.
Subscribe to the DailyBurn Life newsletter for exclusive healthy tips, articles, recipes and more.
What we talk about
- The Real Reasons You Shouldn't Eat After 7PM If You Want to Lose Weight 9424 view(s)
- Top 10 Best Health and Fitness Blogs You Don't Know About (Until Now) 5658 view(s)
- How to Prep Healthy Meals for the Week Ahead 4202 view(s)
- 5 Ways To Use Protein Powder When Shakes Get Boring 3402 view(s)
- Spring Clean Your Liver To Rev Up Your Metabolism 3145 view(s)