When you have to choose between staying at home to use your Xbox and heading out for a gym workout, we know how hard it is for gadget heads like you to unplug. Let us read full story
Today’s post is written by Pamela Hernandez (pictured above), ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and an ACE Lifestyle & Weight Management Coach. Pamela is the owner of Thrive Personal Fitness. In this post, Pamela shares how you can get a great workout outside. Follow her healthy weight loss and fitness tips on twitter: @thrivefit. She is ThriveFit on DailyBurn. – Kate
Summer is here and that means it’s time to revamp your workout routine. It’s time to bust out of the four walls of the gym and take your workout to the great outdoors!
DailyBurn has declared June to be Bringing Fitness Outdoors Month. I want to help you celebrate with a fun and efficient workout that takes you to a place that perhaps used to be a staple of summers past: the playground.
Find a park with a bench, some pull up bars and swings. Bring a jump rope if you have one. Then have a good time in the fresh air and sunshine.
Get your body moving with some dynamic stretching (cross toe touches, shoulder rolls, side lunges, etc.) before doing a brisk walk or light jog for 5 minute.
We’re moving circuit style today. Between each station jog or sprint (depending on your fitness level) to the next one. The more spread out the equipment, the harder the workout.
• Step ups: Perform these on your park bench. Step up right, left leg comes up with just a toe tap at the top then lower back to the ground followed by the right. Repeat on right for 15 steps before switching to left and performing for 15 steps.
• Swing Pushups: TRX without the gym! Place your feet in the swing so the tops of the feet are facing the ground and walk out to a push up position. 10 pushups.
• Step ups with Leg Curls: Same as the first time except curl the trailing leg as you come up so the heal of the trailing foot hits you in the behind. 15 reps on each leg.
• Pull ups: Don’t worry if you can’t do a pull up yet. Jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible, doing a “negative” pull up, if you can’t do a pull up. Do this 5-6 times or do pull ups if you’re able to failure.
• Walking Lunges: Find a nice even section of the park and walk those lunges out for 15 on each leg.
• Bench dips: Back to your bench. Sit on the edge of the bench with your hands gripping the bench on each side of you, palms facing back. Slowly walk your hips off the edge of the bench and extend your legs out in front of you. Lower your hips towards the ground, bending at the elbow. Use your triceps and shoulders to push you back up. Move straight up and down, don’t swing your hips out. 10 reps.
• Swing plank: Back to the swing set. This time you will balance your forearms in the swing, extend your body, balancing on your toes. Your body should be in a straight line, no rear ends the air. Hold 30-60 seconds.
• Jump rope: If you don’t have a rope don’t worry. Go through the same motion by rotating the arms as though you did have a rope while jumping on the balls of your feet. Do this for 30-60 seconds.
• Repeat the circuit 1- 2 more times. Then you’re done!
Don’t just stop and go home. Walk or play some more. When you’re done find a nice shady spot to stretch all you major muscle groups. Then take some time just to enjoy the sun, the day and the grass between your toes.
What is your favorite outdoor summer circuit workout, let us know!
Subscribe to the DailyBurn Life newsletter for exclusive healthy tips, articles, recipes and more.
What we talk about
- The Real Reasons You Shouldn't Eat After 7PM If You Want to Lose Weight 8203 view(s)
- Top 10 Best Health and Fitness Blogs You Don't Know About (Until Now) 5866 view(s)
- How to Prep Healthy Meals for the Week Ahead 4430 view(s)
- 5 Ways To Use Protein Powder When Shakes Get Boring 3162 view(s)
- Save Time and Money With These 5 Cheap and Healthy Ingredient Combinations 2818 view(s)