When you have to choose between staying at home to use your Xbox and heading out for a gym workout, we know how hard it is for gadget heads like you to unplug. Let us read full story
Did you eat a little more than you planned this weekend? Overindulging in food and alcohol on the weekends is one of the biggest diet busters. Although some nutrition plans like 4 Hour Body encourage you to go crazy and eat whatever you want one day per week, most likely you’ll feel the physical repercussions the day after your binge.
Overeating on the weekends is not the reward that you deserve after 5 days of healthful eating. Over time, overeating can cause systemic inflammation, water retention and bloating, acid reflux, and fatigue. According to Dr. Richard Tytus, a leading Canadian obesity specialist, “those who engage in overeating often are most susceptible to organ damage as well as diabetes, heart attack, kidney disease, and cancer”. Although having a cheat meal here or there around the holidays or during social events isn’t so bad, frequent weekly restriction and weekend overindulgence can lead to compulsive problematic eating behaviors.
If you did have a little too much to eat or drink over the weekend, there are a few things that you can do to help your body flush out toxins and reboot.
- Drink water.Weekend junk foods like chips, pizza, french fries, and burgers contain a high amount of sodium. Drink a glass of water every few hours to flush out sodium and decrease bloating.
- Eat a large salad with plenty of greens. Greens like kale and spinach contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are essential for cell repair and regeneration. Flavonoids found in kale like kaempferol and quercetin have been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory properties in the body.
- Sip on green tea. Green tea will give you an energy jolt thanks to a potent mix of caffeine and fat metabolizing properties. Have one cup in the morning and one cup in the afternoon to stimulate your body and mind all day long.
- Get back into your gym routine. You’ll likely be feeling sluggish after your weekend overindulgence. Although it may take a little longer to convince yourself to get up and get ready for your workout, don’t skip it! If you have to do an easier workout, that’s ok. At least you are up and moving around!
- Don’t beat yourself up over it. We all have a cheat meal from time to time. Enjoy it, then move on. Don’t use a backslide as an excuse to give up on your progress so far.
How do you recover after slipping up on the weekends?
Photo provided by pond5 – the world’s stock media marketplace.
Subscribe to the DailyBurn Life newsletter for exclusive healthy tips, articles, recipes and more.
What we talk about
- The Real Reasons You Shouldn't Eat After 7PM If You Want to Lose Weight 9224 view(s)
- Top 10 Best Health and Fitness Blogs You Don't Know About (Until Now) 5697 view(s)
- How to Prep Healthy Meals for the Week Ahead 4043 view(s)
- 5 Ways To Use Protein Powder When Shakes Get Boring 3254 view(s)
- Spring Clean Your Liver To Rev Up Your Metabolism 2997 view(s)