When you have to choose between staying at home to use your Xbox and heading out for a gym workout, we know how hard it is for gadget heads like you to unplug. Let us read full story
Today’s guest post is by Pamela Hernandez. Pamela is an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and an ACE Lifestyle & Weight Management Coach. Today, Pamela writes a dispatch from the annual SXSWi conference in Austin, TX. Pamela is the owner of Thrive Personal Fitness. Follow her healthy weight loss and fitness tips on twitter: @thrivefit. She is ThriveFit on DailyBurn Tracker. Enjoy! – Kate
It’s March and it’s time for a little bit of madness.
No, not basketball. It’s time for the pilgrimage to Austin, Texas for South by Southwest Interactive!
SXSW Interactive, for those who don’t know, is a festival celebrating all forms of interactive communications. You’ve got tech companies, bloggers, designers and marketers of all types converging in Downtown Austin for the most intense networking event you’ve ever been to. But since most the people in attendance are not in the fitness industry, clean eating and exercise are not at the top of the list of preferred activities.
Last year was my first year to join the chaos. Now that I am no longer a wide-eyed rookie, I feel compelled to share the lessons that every fit girl (or guy) should keep in mind if SXSW Interactive (or any other conference) is on your radar for 2013.
- Come early. My husband and I flew in on Thursday before the official start on Friday. That gave us time to complete our registration and pick up water and snacks with less stress. It’s also a great opportunity for a good night’s sleep (something you will certainly appreciate by Monday).
- Speaking of snacks, pack your own. Free food abounds at SXSW Interactive but the problem is most of it is not clean eating approved. You’ll find lots of food trucks with the plenty of greasy and fried delights. Occasionally you’ll find someone handing out a healthy treat (like Zico coconut water!) but those opportunities are few and far between. I filled my backpack with fruit, granola, dry roasted edamame, Luna Bars and raw almonds. I also took advantage of the Hampton Inn’s Breakfast to Go for the fruit and water.
- All food trucks are not created equal. Austin is known for it’s eclectic food truck scene. Most of what you find is BBQ or fried. However, you can find healthy and vegetarian carts if you try. Whole Foods was a sponsor this year and served up their delightful food fair from a cart just blocks away from the Convention Center. Use tools like the Austin Food Carts app or Urbanspoon to find your best food choices.
- Have a place to recharge-literally and figuratively. Our hotel is not downtown, so to go back to the room for a rest is about a 45 minute round trip. Luckily there is a wonderful thing called the Blogger Lounge. It’s a quiet and friendly oasis in the midst of the chaos. I can sit back and relax a bit while my devices power up.
- Bring a water bottle. I kicked myself all week for leaving my awesome DailyBurn water bottle at home. The conference center has water cooler stations for refilling your bottle and it’s so important to stay hydrated. Buying bottled water is super expensive too. Luckily I was able to get a bottle to refill in the Blogger Lounge.
- Exercise doesn’t stop when you leave home. I’ll admit my workouts don’t look the same on the road as they do at home, but they do happen. Working out keeps me sane and grounded when the rest of my day is anything but routine. Unfortunately my hotel gym was tiny and crowded in the mornings but it didn’t matter. I moved the furniture around and went to work in my room. Intervals of push ups, mountain climbers, burpees and the Bikini Butt workout from DailyBurn on my MacBook Air made for a perfect 20 minute workout.
I love the adventure that is SXSW Interactive. I love all that Austin has to offer, I love meeting some of my online friends in real life and I love learning. It’s not the healthiest adventure but if I can still fit in my skinny pants (which I can) by the end then it’s all good.
Subscribe to the DailyBurn Life newsletter for exclusive healthy tips, articles, recipes and more.
What we talk about
- The Real Reasons You Shouldn't Eat After 7PM If You Want to Lose Weight 9368 view(s)
- Top 10 Best Health and Fitness Blogs You Don't Know About (Until Now) 5747 view(s)
- How to Prep Healthy Meals for the Week Ahead 4101 view(s)
- 5 Ways To Use Protein Powder When Shakes Get Boring 3366 view(s)
- Spring Clean Your Liver To Rev Up Your Metabolism 3051 view(s)